geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject More allegations from JBoss on TheServerSide
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:54:51 GMT
Vic Cekvenich wrote:

> > > I just wanted to underline above.

> > Are you claiming that the Geromino developers are falsely
> > representing their rights and the origin of the code?  Is
> > it your claim that they are violating their CLA?

> This was posted on the Server Side TODAY, I had nothing to do with it:
> http://theserverside.com/home/thread.jsp?thread_id=22337
> Shame on the developers that steal code!

I trust that you apply that sentiment both ways, Vic.

Did you read the letter in question?  Did you read the replies to the
letter?  Did you know that two of the three exhibits provided by JBoss to
their lawyer for reporting to the ASF are actually modified examples from
Log4J?  To quote from the page you referenced:

  "Both classes appear to be heavily inspired by code examples
   contained in the log4J distribution (package examples.customLevel,
   class XLevel), so I would not count this as a very convincing
   exhibit. Same with PatternParser."

All IP claims will need to be reviewed, and if there are any real issues,
they will have to be corrected.  Some claims posted by Bill Burke seem a bit
of a stretch, e.g., that a Service interface with start() and stop() methods
is proprietary, implying an exclusive right to use boilerplate patterns from
the JDK, suggesting that an object pool is tainted because it implements a
pool, or that an mutator method is tainted because the first thing it does
it check its arguments and throw an exception if they are bad.  But
specifics to which to respond are better than unsubstantiated allegations.

The obligation is to create new code, not to forget best practices that have
been learned, or to be different solely for the sake of being different.

	--- Noel