geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: New Goal -- Milestone Release
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:57:25 GMT
> > Let me point out that I'm one of the folks talking about re-organizing
> > things to more closely align Geronimo's committers with its project
> > management.  I want to see closer ties, not looser.

> Personally, I think this would be a good idea.

> If there were a "practice PMC" for each Podling and it could
> vote to decide things I'd find the process more clear.

See the related discussion currently in general@.

Part of the Incubator process is supposed to ensure that a project, such as
Geronimo, intended to be a TLP is capable of managing itself within the ASF
structure.  That means it has to understand it, and be comfortable with it.
That's one reason why I find it troubling for a project (any project, not
limited to incubator projects) to go outside of the structure, rather than
working within the structure to improve it.

It is not just a saying, or a pop psych reference to "family", when people
talk about The Apache Way, or about the importance of Community.  Code can
come and go, but the Community is what makes it happen.  NOTHING happens
without a Community.  Sure, individual developers can do great things, but
the ASF is interested in long term stability.  The development of a healthy
Community is the mechanism to ensure long term viability.

This is why the goal of a project is to build a healthy Community.  From
that healthy Community come the resources to develop code.

The various policies exist to create and protect the Community.  They change
when people come up with better ways to help do the former and still do the
latter.

	--- Noel