geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: New Goal -- Milestone Release
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:48:53 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> David Jencks wrote:

>>>Looking at the second document (which appears to be more official than
>>>the first) reveals two uses of "(Reference to Charter)".  After some
>>>study I can't resolve these references nor figure out what the proper
>>>procedure to follow is.  Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

>> Not something that you need to worry about, although the PMC does.  Those
>> are references to the Incubator project's charter.

> I disagree with this sentiment at such a fundamental level. Everyone
> actively involved with the project needs to understand the processes
> that surround it.

> Patting David on the head and telling him not to worry is the type of
> condescension we have come to expect from the PMC and is the most
> likely thing out there to lead to the demise of this project.

I did not pat David on the head, or condescend to him.  I simply pointed out
that there are some clarity issues related to the PMC's own documents that
it needs to resolve.  He found some dangling references that the PMC needs
to tie down.

Let me point out that I'm one of the folks talking about re-organizing
things to more closely align Geronimo's committers with its project
management.  I want to see closer ties, not looser.

> > One thing that I, wearing my PMC Member hat, will want to see is that we
> > have put the JBoss situation to bed.  Yes, we want to put out a
milestone,
> > but I think that we need to make sure that the allegations have been
> > answered via appropriate channels.  I could be wrong on that, but I'd
rather
> > error on the side of caution, and hear that I am wrong from those with
more
> > experience in this particular legal arena.

> I too would like to know the matter has been resolved too. I imagine
> everyone in the community and a fair number of people outside feel
> the same way. That we cannot even consider the future of the project
> shows that the FUD is working.

There is no question that everyone wants to see the legal issues resolved.
My comment was specifically in response to the desire to put out a milestone
build, and what I said was that in order to realize the milestone, I would
predicate my vote based in part on making sure that those who are charged
with dealing with such things are satisfied with the status of the legal
issue.

	--- Noel