geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse Beaumont" <Jesse.Beaum...@edina.co.uk>
Subject RE: use of assert
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 19:53:49 GMT
That sounds fine.  Clover is happy as long as you disable asserts during
the compilation it will not consider assert lines in its coverage
report.

Jesse

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Boynes [mailto:jeremy@coredevelopers.net]
Sent: 15 November 2003 16:36
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: use of assert

Jesse Beaumont wrote:

> One other point about the use of assert.  Has it been assumed that all
> code and tests will be executed with assertion checking enabled?  It
> becomes very difficult to write tests for assertions unless we assume
> that because turning assertion checking off will cause assertion based
> tests to fail.  For the time being I have just left out tests for the
> assertions which in theory is fine except that the clover report does
> not show as complete because of it.

The Sun view on assertions can be found here:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/lang/assert.html

The assumption I am using is that assertions will be enabled by default
for all development and beta releases, and disabled in a production
release.  As a result they should be used for additional verification
during development, but the code should assume that they will be
disabled.

Hopefully this will make clover happy.

--
Jeremy

---  Disclaimer  ---

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by a Director of Edina Software, this communication
is to be treated as confidential and the information in it may not be used or disclosed except
for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you have reason to believe that you are not
the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the sender immediately.