geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse Beaumont" <Jesse.Beaum...@edina.co.uk>
Subject RE: new console-swing team
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:15:29 GMT
I think you are referring to JSR-198 (168 is the portlet specification).
As for its status, it has been approved, but that's about it.  There
have been no deliverables thus far...more is the pity.

Jesse

-----Original Message-----
From: Juan Albisu [mailto:juanmi@juanalbisu.com]
Sent: 21 November 2003 19:48
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: new console-swing team

I prefer java Webstar: I've used a lot and it's really cool

Swing: where you can do everything and make it look easy

I Think there are two "must" plugs to be done: Netbeans and Eclipse.

I remember the "JSR 168 A Standar Extension API for IDE". But I haven't
seen anything from them

At 10:38 21/11/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Sonnek, Ryan wrote:
>
>>[...] Any opinions on applet vs. webstart?
>
>WebStart, hands down. Developing an applet that is *truely* cross
platform
>involves a great deal of overhead for testing and results in code that
>has, IMHO, an unacceptable amount of special cases to deal with the
>irregularities specific to certain OS x OS version x browser x browser
>version combinations. WebStart, on the other hand, provides a more
>standard execution environment (plus secure system services that simply

>aren't available to applets). Further, the fact that WebStart will
cache
>byte code on the client means that the user is spared the pain of
>downloading an applet everytime they want to run the console. If there
>exists a compelling reason to use an applet over WebStart, I have yet
>see it and would welcome the information.
>

>Cheers,
>Elias
>
>P.S. WebStart, no contest.  :-)

---  Disclaimer  ---

Unless otherwise agreed expressly in writing by a Director of Edina Software, this communication
is to be treated as confidential and the information in it may not be used or disclosed except
for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you have reason to believe that you are not
the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the sender immediately.