geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Universal Geronimo Service Repository
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 05:52:18 GMT
In enterprise computing there's no such thing as one size fits all.
We're gonna have all kinds of different implementations of different
services; whether its servlet engines (tomcat, jetty), ejb containers
(openejb, jonas), transaction managers (tyrex, jotm), jms providers
(openjms, joram, commercial vendors) etc.

Already Geronimo can deploy any-old-service from a deployment unit or
URI etc. Of course we need to put in place some good hooks to
efficiently wire together dependent services when close integration is
desirable, but conceptually, we should be able to just deploy
any-old-service at runtime and things just-work.

So here's a thought for folks (we can talk more about it at ApacheCon
if you like). Why don't we put together a J2EE service repository.
Think Maven jar repository but for Geronimo deployment units - all
ready to run.

Then for a given Geronimo version (based on its kernel & core hooks
etc), we could have a repository of all the j2ee services available
that the user can easily install. Then via a GUI or web app or config
file or command line tool or whatever, the user could choose which
services they wish to have in their own custom Geronimo installation -
then hey presto Geronimo could download & install locally each
deployment unit. i.e. using Maven's idea of remote repositories and
local repositories & downloading new version as required etc. This
would allow users to tailor their geronimo deployment to their exact
requirements.

This would allow any open source project or commercial vendor to easily
plugin to Geronimo in a well known, well documented and well tested
way. e.g. we could have (eval versions) of every commercial JMS
provider all packaged up as a Geronimo deployment unit. Ditto for
servlets, EJB, JTA, JCA, WS etc.

Developers who don't need parts of J2EE could easily strip stuff out
(e.g. if you're just doing web apps & don't use EJB but need some JMS
or WS or JCA or whatnot). Commercial vendors could use this mechanism
to create custom Geronimo deployments with all of their products
cleanly integrated. Folks could then easily do unit / system testing of
different combinations of J2EE services.

How's this sound? Already much of the mechanics of this is already
available in Geronimo, its more a question of figuring out what layout
we should use for the repository & making some little tools to help
folks pick-and-choose and validate combinations of services etc. e.g.
it'd be nice to format the repository in such a way so that deployment
units can describe which version(s) of Geronimo they work with so that
only known-to-work versions of things are available in the repository
for a user's geronimo install. Also checking inter-service dependencies
too like you use (say) a JMS 1.0.x provider, then you can't use a
certain other service which depends on JMS 1.1 etc.

I think this would be really cool. Thoughts?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/