geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [committers] can you build the website?
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:24:37 GMT
On 24 Nov 2003, at 19:23, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> They don't, as far as I know.  Geronimo is hardly the only project to
>> raise
>> a concern about "190MB of generated artifacts in CVS?!"  There are
>> various
>> alternative solutions being looked at, including a build server.  So
>> look
>> for things to change down the road.  No one is trying to do stupid
>> things.
>> They just want to make sure that in the event of a problem, we can
>> recover
>> in a relatively painless fashion.
>
> 	The truth is, if the whole thing is generated from source files in
> CVS, so long as the actual source code is backed up, the web site CAN
> be
> recovered in a relatively painless fashion -- just restore the CVS
> backup
> and build the site.  Am I missing something?

This is true of all maven-generated sites. IIRC some Jakarta Commons
sites are like this and the Maven site itself is like this too.

I guess eventually we could just do a file system backup of the
last-deployed site in case of error. Or as Noel says, have some kinda
build server.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/