geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Response to JBoss Allegations
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:05:19 GMT

On Nov 25, 2003, at 4:58 PM, Jules Gosnell wrote:

> A couple of comments -
>
> - as you list the exhibits, you simply say that JBG claims that our
> code is 'similar' to theirs, then having shown a common Apache
> ancestry for most them, you describe the assertion as 'invalid'. This
> isn't quite true. In fact the code is 'similar' due to the common
> ancestry. I think we should be absolutely clear that JBGs claim was
> that Geronimo code was 'derived' from JBoss code with accompanying
> stripping of attribution and relicensing. Our findings can then be
> clearly seen to invalidate such claims.

Thank you.  This is a good point.  I've adjusted the listing of
exhibits to quote the language from the original letter.

I don't know if I can capture the essence of that in the response - I
assume that the response letter will detail this distinction in a
clearer manner, so if ok, I'll just punt here - this letter is our
response for the board to use in the official response from the ASF.

> - perhaps we should mention the recent 'Resolution of inconsistencies
> in CVS' thread, to head off further claims that may arise as a result
> of our openness regarding this issue.

I don't think so, as we want to keep our response specific to the
details of the original letter.  We don't want to drag in other things.

I believe the sequence of events surrounding the inconsistencies, done
in public and as rapidly as possible, clearly shows that our intent is
to be as careful and clean as we can be.

geir

geir@4quarters.com