geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: new console-swing team
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:02:13 GMT
There's already a good open source eclipse plugin which uses SWT /
JFace...

http://panoptesmgmt.sf.net/

If you wanna do a console for SWT / JFace I'd highly suggest starting
with Panoptes and adding some stuff to it. Its silly reinventing the
wheel. (Take a look at the screenshots - its looking pretty good
already - just needs some JSR 77 / 88 and Geronimo specific goodness).

On 21 Nov 2003, at 18:12, Mariano Kamp wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   what about an eclipse-plugin? I am currently working on doing a
> JSR-77
> client for eclipse (will post something on Sunday). I personally favor
> have the console integrated in the ide. I do understand though, that
> eclipse
> is not everybodys choice.
>
> Cheers,
> Mariano
>
> On Friday 21 November 2003 19:11, Matthew David Kurjanowicz wrote:
>> Oh oh, pick me! pick me! :)  I really think that this is a good idea,
>> and
>> a good alternative (for me developing) to the twiddle comand client.
>> There are a few things there that I've been trying to figure out there
>> that just aren't working dealing with the twiddle cli - such as
>> keeping
>> track of state, etc.  Besides, I have more experience developing swing
>> UI's then CLI interfaces.
>>
>> I'm willing to lead work on a swing console, and hopefully will be
>> able to
>> extend James' code.  I started looking at it last night and it looks
>> doable.
>>
>> Hoeffenlich geht es gut. (And that's the extent of my memory of HS
>> Deutsch
>>
>> :) ).
>>
>> -Matt K.
>>
>>> Cool, James.  That's great news.  MVC is perfect for thick-client
>>> UIs,
>>> too : ) Now everyone who wants to scratch that itch can do so (ich
>>> habe
>>> es genug für mich gekratzt).
>>>
>>> It sounds like Matt and Ryan are already thinking a lot about this
>>> stuff.  Does one (or both) of them want to lead the effort on
>>> developing
>>> the swing UI?  (I'm sure James will if they won't, and will help
>>> them if
>>> they run across any issues).  There are probably dozens of people on
>>> the
>>> list who want to help with the Swing UI, who have a lot of experience
>>> with UI design or who know JMX like the back of their hand.  If not,
>>> this is a perfect chance for newcomers to get involved (other than
>>> writing unit tests) and learn some new skills.
>>>
>>> Matt and Ryan are both very competent developers and show a lot of
>>> initiative for pushing in this direction : )  If it sounded before
>>> like
>>> I was suggesting that the Geronimo project shouldn't have a swing
>>> UI, I
>>> apologize--you guys should know that wasn't what I was trying to say
>>> (and even if I were, I don't make decisions around here ; )  I never
>>> want to close the door on new ideas or new, useful components to plug
>>> in.  I think that stuff is great.  I was just trying to convey that I
>>> personally specialize in thin client servlet approaches and will
>>> stick
>>> with them because it's where I operate most efficiently and can make
> [...]

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/