geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: JBoss Exhibit "D" : similarity between org.apache.geronimo.common.Invocation and org.jboss.invocation.Invocation
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:28:04 GMT

On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 07:21 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Claim : both files contain "AsIs", "Transient" and "Marhsalled", which
> are believed to be JBoss-specific payloads, and thus could only be
> there via copying. Further, the Invocation file is central to the
> JBoss architecture, and thus copying could have great impact
> throughout Geronimo.
>
> (I forgot this - the JBoss lawyer's letter just calls it out in text,
> not as a specific exhibit)
>
> Comment : The last part, about architectural similarity, is a
> non-issue, I believe.  You can't copyright the idea, just the
> expression of the idea.

Ok - Bill Burke is back on TSS going on about this, so I'll do the same
for this that I did when analyzing Exhibit C.

I'm staring at this, and now have to go back and read the letter from
the lawyers, because the code for

org.apache.geronimo.core.service.Invocation is a riff on java.util.Map,
namely :

public interface Invocation {

     Object get(InvocationKey key);
     void put(InvocationKey key, Object value);
}

Where the jboss version is a fairly rich concrete class.  I'm not going
to waste bits posting it, but here's the link :

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jboss/jboss/src/main/org/jboss/
invocation/Invocation.java?rev=1.19&view=markup

So this can't be what they are upset about.

Can someone explain what JBoss is talking about?

geirm@optonline.net