geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Monson-Haefel <Rich...@Monson-Haefel.com>
Subject [jsr109] JAXR
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:39:48 GMT
JSR 109 requires support for JAXR. Specifically, it requires that J2EE
components (ejbs, servlets/jsps, endpoints, etc.) have access to a working
JAXR provider.  The WS-I supports/condones/whatever the use of UDDI, so we
need a JAXR provider that at least supports UDDI (version 2.0).

One way to address this is to write our own JAXR provider, but I would like
to avoid that if possible. Ideally I would like to use the JAXR reference
implementation provided by Sun Microsystems. What is the licensing issues
with regard to using Sun's J2EE RI code?  I've heard a couple people suggest
using various parts of the RI in other "subprojects", but I'm not sure if
that's allowed by the RI license.

Full functionality with JAXR is (IMO) far more important than performance.
Its kind of hard to imagine many situations in which a really fast JAXR impl
is needed. If performance is not an issue, than it would be best (again IMO)
to use the RI implementation of JAXR and contribute back to that rather than
roll our own. Again, I'm not totally sure if that's feasible or advisable
and would appreciate any feedback from Apache wonks or anyone.

Richard