geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Monson-Haefel <Rich...@Monson-Haefel.com>
Subject Re: JSR 109 MessageContext import
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:05:53 GMT
On 11/2/03 10:33 AM, in article
GHEHKNNAODAPCLJONCCDEEAIDAAA.jeremy@coredevelopers.net, "Jeremy Boynes"
<jeremy@coredevelopers.net> wrote:

> IIRC the current 109 architecture plans to invoke EJBs using their normal
> remote interface.

This is the first I've hear of this plan. Did I miss a beat? I've kind of
been distracted the past couple of days.

> However, the invocation in Geronimo needs to attach a MessageContext with
> the invocation and notify the EJB container that this is a web-service
> invocation rather than an component interface invocation (so that the
> appropriate SessionContext methods can be enabled).

There are a number of differences between a remote invocation and an
endpoint invocation. For one thing, the EJB Endpoint implements (directly or
implicitly) an endpoint interface, rather than an EJBObject type interface.
Second, there may be a Message Handler chain that needs to intercept
incoming requests and that chain works with a SAAJ Message object. Another
thing, is the MessageContext. It needs to be accessible to all of the
handlers and the bean instance through its SessionContext - as you already
mentioned.

> This seems to imply that a different invocation API is needed from the
> normal remote interface implementation. There may be a way to hack it in
> using the client-side interceptor stack, but given this is required
> functionality we should have a cleaner approach.

My understanding is that the interceptor stack is supposed to be flexible
enough to allow different calling methods (e.g. Remote IIOP, Remote JRMP,
Local, etc.). Is this true? I mean is it necessary to "hack" client- or
server-side interceptor stack?

Richard
--
Richard Monson-Haefel