geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject JBoss Claims : Important : All developers read this
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:04:46 GMT
As all should be aware by now, the JBoss Group has sent the ASF a
letter detailing claims of infringement of JBoss IP.  The ASF is very
serious about IP and licensing issues, and we all want to get this
issue resolved and behind us as soon as possible.

To that end, all Geronimo Committers should take a momentary pause from
active development and help address the claims.  We should :

1) review all three claims
2) review the Geronimo code specified as infringing in the claims
3) provide a technical response for each of the claims - either that
the claim is not valid, and reasons why, or that the claim is valid

In the event that any of the JBoss claims are true, then we must
resolve the problem.  I'd suggest :

0) Immediately remove the offending code from CVS
1) Notifying this list of the finding

This activity must be the consensus of the Geronimo committers, and the
response to JBoss should consist of technical information produced by
the Geronimo committers.  It's our project and our responsibility.

The ASF will be assisting in the formal response to the JBoss Group, so
please - lets collect information here, and then present that to the
ASF.  In the event that an individual is contacted by any member of the
JBoss Group regarding this issue, remember to be courteous, polite and
refer them to one of the following :

1) This list : geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
2) The Incuabtor PMC : pmc@incubator.apache.org
3) The Apache board : board@apache.org

As for the mechanicals, I'll follow up with a separate email with the
three claims, and from that we can address each one.

geir

geirm@optonline.net