geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [committers] can you build the website?
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:57:29 GMT
On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 04:29 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> if the whole thing is generated from source files in CVS,
>> so long as the actual source code is backed up, the web
>> site CAN be recovered in a relatively painless fashion
>> -- just restore the CVS backup and build the site.  Am
>> I missing something?
>
> Consider the fact that not all of the project web sites are using the
> same
> build tools.  Consider, too, that sometimes you need a particular
> version,
> or platform, to do a build due to bugs in a build tool.  Add in the
> time
> required to do the build, and any manual steps in the process.  Scale
> that
> to a couple of hundred projects.  Those play a big part of why the
> infrastructure team doesn't consider that a reasonable option.
> Basically,
> if you don't do it in CVS, you're on your own.  And that's not
> considered A
> Good Thing.  Another thing is that we can verify that a site hasn't
> been
> tampered with by comparing it to the CVS.
>
> Stefano has put forth a fairly detailed proposal for a build system.
> There
> is also discussion on the infrastructure list of getting additional
> equipment, so that one server could handle site building from CVS.  The
> public server would synchronize from the build server.  That could
> obviate
> the need to keep a copy of the generated artifacts.
>
> As I said, I don't believe that anyone thinks that keeping 100s of
> megabytes
> of generated artifacts in CVS is a great idea.

That seems like a lot of work.  Has anyone considered time stamped tar
balls (e.g., incubator-geronimo-20031124)?  We could simply upload a
new tar ball when we want the site updated.  The server could manage
disk space by deleting the oldest tar balls and would automatically
update the site when it discovers a newer tar ball.

I think it would be great to have an automatic build system for the
site and daily binaries, but it seems like a lot of work it the
motivation is just to eliminate the '190MB CVS problem.'

-dain