geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: JBoss Exhibit C : org.apache.geronimo.common.InvocationType
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:40:11 GMT
So then the question seems to be "What is the difference between the
geronimo version of this and the JBoss version?"

Dain had the right to contribute to Geronimo the code up to (but not
including) the changes made by Scott or anyone else

Dain's last rev is

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jboss/jboss/src/main/
org/jboss/invocation/InvocationType.java?content-
type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.3

The latest rev in JBoss is v 1.5, so we need to figure out what
happened between v1.3, which Dain had the right to contribute to the
ASF w/o any permission needed from other committers (not the JBoss
Group, as they don't actually own the code...)

JBoss 1.3 :
     committed by Dain, for which he has the rights to contribute and
re-license here in Geronimo under the ASL

JBoss v1.3 -> v1.4 :
     a) Switched from using a static int to a final static int as the
max value for the InvocationType array.  We see the same in the
Geronimo code. This is common, accepted practice for creating constants
in Java, and would be suggested by any code inspector (like Idea or
Eclipse).  In my opinion, Dain should have his hand slapped for not
doing it this way in the first place.
     b) Switched to a statically allocated array [] rather than an
ArrayList for holding the invocationType objects.  This change is in
the Geronimo code.
     c) Changed the signature of the InvocationType from the Dain way
(new InvocationType("LOCAL", false, true)) that is in Geronimo now, to
a different way ( new InvocationType("HOME", 2)).  Clearly the Geronimo
code didn't copy this change.
     d) Removed  two booleans isLocal and isHome, present in the
Dain-contributed 1.3.  These variables persist in the Geronimo version
as local and home.  This change was not adopted by Dain for Geronimo.

Jboss v1.4 -> v1.5 :
    Added a new invocation type 'SERVICE_ENDPOINT', which is not present
in the Geronimo code.  I conclude that any changes between v1.4 and 1.5
of the JBoss code were not co-opted into the geronimo codebase.

Here's my conclusion.  I would appreciate commentary :

Conclusion

Dain contributed the same code to Geronimo that he contributed to JBoss.

The only difference between his JBoss contributions, for which he has
complete rights to contribute and relicense elsehwere, is that he
changed the Geronimo implementation to use an array of rather than an
ArrayList to hold the InvocationType objects, and a static final int
'constant' to keep the size of that array rather than a static int
field.

geir

geirm@optonline.net