geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Sonnek, Ryan" <Ryan.Son...@bpc.com>
Subject RE: console design
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:00:08 GMT
I guess the way I think of it right now is to compare it to Jboss:
Web console,
Applet console,
Eclipse plugin (a personal favorite of mine).
Maybe these are too functionally different to be considered for developing a
"reusable architecture", but I would just like to bring it to the table for
discussion now to have an idea of goals/ambitions.

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Sonnek, Ryan [mailto:Ryan.Sonnek@bpc.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 9:48 PM
To: 'geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org'
Subject: RE: console design

I'm not even sure that the client app is needed (thus this thread), but I DO
think that it is important IF one is used, that they are functionally and
visually similar.  As more and more things go into the web console, it
doesn't make sense for the thick client to "rewrite" to stay current or vice
versa.  I understand that JMX does not require the added abstraction, but
for an enterprise system to have two separate views of the same information
and same operation, it does NOT make sense to duplicate the coding effort.
HTML or Swing or SWT or Twiddle should just be a view overtop of the same
engine.  I do not know if this kind of thing is even possible (same logic
with different presentation layers), but I would like to see the duplicate
effort minimized at best.

Ryan