geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: New Goal -- Milestone Release
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:12:59 GMT

On Saturday, November 22, 2003, at 11:48 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>> Not something that you need to worry about, although the PMC does.
>>> Those
>>> are references to the Incubator project's charter.
>
>> I disagree with this sentiment at such a fundamental level. Everyone
>> actively involved with the project needs to understand the processes
>> that surround it.
>
>> Patting David on the head and telling him not to worry is the type of
>> condescension we have come to expect from the PMC and is the most
>> likely thing out there to lead to the demise of this project.
>
> I did not pat David on the head, or condescend to him.  I simply
> pointed out
> that there are some clarity issues related to the PMC's own documents
> that
> it needs to resolve.  He found some dangling references that the PMC
> needs
> to tie down.

Thanks for clarifying this.  It was not clear to me from your first
response that you agreed with me that the references should be
resolved: I thought you might mean I should not concern myself with
the details of the process.

> Let me point out that I'm one of the folks talking about re-organizing
> things to more closely align Geronimo's committers with its project
> management.  I want to see closer ties, not looser.

Personally, I think this would be a good idea.    I'm also a little
concerned about the profligate anthropomorphizing of "Podling" in the
document: Podlings are often said to wish or decide things, without
much discussion of how the actual people working on the project might
do this.  If there were a "practice PMC" for each Podling and it could
vote to decide things I'd find the process more clear.

many thanks,
david jencks
<snip>