geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Bartel <j...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: [security] Authentication mechanism
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:45:11 GMT
Alan,

There's two points I'd like to raise about the proposed mechanism.

I think this mechanism is not dynamic enough. In the real world, users
are dynamically granted and revoked roles at runtime. With the proposed
mechanism I can't see any way to accomodate that - the whole webapp
would have to be stopped and restarted if just one user was granted a
role on the fly and wanted to exercise it.

Also, it is impractical to fully enumerate all of the principals and
their role mappings in a deployment descriptor - many applications in
the corporate world contain thousands of users with many different roles
each.

The information about users and their roles is maintained by the
Security Realm. We just need a mechanism whereby when the user is
authenticated, we are able to pull out their roles from the Security
Realm, convert them into Permissions and associate them with the
Subject. I'll have a bit more of a think and see if I can come up with a
firm mechanism proposal.

cheers,
Jan