geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Charlton Barreto <charlto...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: FYI, Specs from BEA + IBM
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:48:28 GMT
In fact, the Work Manager indeed has been standardized - in JSR-112
(Connectors 1.5). In addition, the enhanced Timer mechanism they are
proposing is being standardized in J2SE 1.5. Service Data Objects are
nice, but then we already have well-documented patterns for this (e.g.
Data Access Objects) and tools that facilitate them.

It appears BEA and IBM weren't happy with what was produced in JSR-112
or J2SE 1.4 even though they had expert group representatives the entire
time (during the two years the specs were being developed - i.e. they
had plenty of time and resources to explore the implications and express
their thoughts early on) and are off developing a parallel effort to
suit their respective needs and architectures. From what I know of their
architectures, it won't be exactly easy for them to implement JSR-112
work management or use J2SE 1.4 timers, although it wasn't difficult at
all for JBoss or anyone else and I can't imagine it being particularly
difficult for Geronimo.

I'd definitely watch this space in the future to see what BEA and IBM
come up with, esp. in the Work Manager and Timer spaces. My feel is that
they are proposing this not so much for the end of producing actual
specs, but to voice their protest at not being able to get what they
wanted in Connectors 1.5 or J2SE 1.4. I wouldn't be too certain that
these parallel specs would be considered for J2EE.