geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [committers] can you build the website?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:21:22 GMT
dion-2ngoU/wiIoKai2JIS6bsrQ@public.gmane.org wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken-1oDqGaOF3Lkdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org> wrote on
26/11/2003 01:20:01 AM:

> [snip]
>
>>>What's the point of only restoring part of the web site?
>>
>>It's just a compromise. Since the biggest part of the website is the
>>extra docs, I think that using CVS only for the main website would be ok
>>because in an emergency we cannot easily live without the site but we
>>can easily live without the javadocs on the server.
>
> Does this fit in with infrastructure's requirements?

Dunno, it' MHO.

> I've got no idea what they are or where they're documented.
 > Can you help me with that?

http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#web

There are three points that are important AFAIK:

1 - Restoring:
     Being able to easily restore the site in case it gets screwed.
     Doing a CVS checkout is something that anyone here knows how to do,
     so it's the main way.

2 - Security:
     Sites should never be pushed on the main site but pulled from
     it. This is for security reasons, so that a cron job can be made
     to update the site from a staging server without any access to the
     server machine. Now that we have www and cvs on the same machine
     though it makes less sense, as they should be two different
     machines.

3 - History:
     Some have said that we should always keep history of the *generated*
     sites, as even the actual results are important. I'm sure that
     it will be hard to gen today's site with Maven in 4 years time, as
     things will have changes, but it will still be easy to get them from
     a CVS archive.

Currently there is a plan underway between Cocoon, Forrest and Lenya to
set up a system that publishes sites. The infrastructure is seeing what
can be done in terms of resources, new machines, etc.

The plan is about using Lenya for the back-end and Forrest as a
generation frontend (Cocoon is used by both). The ForrestBot will be
used to checkout the site, generate, and commit to the staging CVS
automatically. In fact it already does so, we are just getting ready to
do so on Apache hardware.

Phew, it was more than I thought when I started replying ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -