geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Unofficial relase for Geronimo
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:17:41 GMT
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>

>>Reading the wiki page (IncubatorReleaseManagement) I am unclear if such
>>an archive can be distributed from an ASF site or if we need to use an
>>unaffiliated site. If we do use an external site, then can we link to it
>>from the project home page (with suitable disclaimers attached)?
>

> A very good thing you ask this before doing! As this most certainly is NOT
> something which should happen. Any and all code released by the ASF should
> follow the guidelines on:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
>
> which, apart from a practical perspective is a best pratice guideline, is
> _also_ crucial in the legal defense system of the ASF. Or in other words,
> if we do not follow such procedures, we can no longer protect individual
> developers, or even our end users, against a range of legal issues.
>
> I'll guess the incubator site needs a bit of work to make this point
> a hell of a lot clearer :-)
>
> Thanks for asking this (first).
>
> Dw

The very reason we wanted to bring this to the PMC early was to be sure
due process was followed.

AIUI, the PMC must vote to allow the release of any project. I therefore
felt we had an obligation to form a plan so that the PMC would have a
concrete proposal to vote on, rather than some vague wishy-washy idea.

The external site question came from the wiki page which states:

"This means that Projects under Incubation cannot release, and cannot do
it using the Apache mirroring rules."

The implication is that ASF hardware and mirrors would not be used for a
release of an incubating project. As the page goes on to describe how,
after PMC approval, a release could be made, the question was about
where it would need to be located.

In light of today's emails I now understand the process to be:
* The PMC must vote to approve a release
* Because a PMC endorsed it, this is an official release
* The release archive must clearly indicate it is in incubation, in
   both the filename and accompanying files.
* The release archive would be hosted on ASF hardware and endorsed
   mirrors

If this is wrong, I would welcome clarification. If this is right,
please can someone official plesae update the incubator site and wiki
page to make this clear.

--
Jeremy