geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <>
Subject use of assert
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:35:30 GMT
Jesse Beaumont wrote:

> One other point about the use of assert.  Has it been assumed that all
> code and tests will be executed with assertion checking enabled?  It
> becomes very difficult to write tests for assertions unless we assume
> that because turning assertion checking off will cause assertion based
> tests to fail.  For the time being I have just left out tests for the
> assertions which in theory is fine except that the clover report does
> not show as complete because of it.

The Sun view on assertions can be found here:

The assumption I am using is that assertions will be enabled by default
for all development and beta releases, and disabled in a production
release.  As a result they should be used for additional verification
during development, but the code should assume that they will be disabled.

Hopefully this will make clover happy.

View raw message