geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Elias Sinderson <el...@cse.ucsc.edu>
Subject Re: WebDAV service
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 19:03:32 GMT
gianny DAMOUR wrote:

> Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>> I have concerns with Slide, primarily as the last release was Nov
>> 2001, how active is the project and how stable is it?
>
> I do not know. Hence this memo.

There hasn't been much activity on Slide since the main developers fixed
some issues uncovered during the first WebDAV interoperability event at
UCSC in the fall of 2001. There are 50 open issues in the Apache bug
database on Slide, some minor to be sure, but others which are rather
serious (see below). At this time, Slide is not in compliance with the
WebDAV specification and as RFC 2518bis continues to be fleshed out, it
appears that this will become more of an issue.

Aside from the more serious problems included below, there are some
performance issues that should be addressed before Slide should be
considered for enterprise type applications. Further, my own experience
with the Slide client library led me to the conclusion that there are
some architectural issues that will need to be addressed before they
will be able to support the full WebDAV protocol suite (DASL, Delta-V,
etc.).

Regards,
Elias
_______________________

Some of the more serious issues are (in no particular order):
* Dropping resources with a space or % in the name
* Improper handling of PROPPATCH method
* Modifying resource properties during COPY / MOVE operations
* The server response code when creating lock-null resources is incorrect
* HashMapObjectCache grows beyond its maxSize
* getContentLength() returns the wrong value
* WebdavResource.java does not release HTTP connections, affecting
several WebDAV methods (simple fix, but still a problem)
* Relative hrefs are not processed correctly, dropping trailing URL segments
* Inverting parmissions dur COPY / MOVE operations
* Improper acces control granted if a username is the prefix of another
username
* listWebdavResources() returns a collection as its own child
* "If-None-Match" is not supported by PUT method, preventing PUT without
overwrite