geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Visco <kvi...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Status of JMS
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 04:44:12 GMT

Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> I believe OpenJMS is compatible in binary form, but source suffers from the
> Intalio indemnity problem.

What is the "Intalio indemnity problem"? As far as I know, OpenJMS uses
the Exolab license, which is a BSD-like license. The only restriction on
re-distributing the source code is that you must leave the original
copyright notice in the source file, and a copy of the exolab must
accompany the source code. So basically, you can't just go and change
the copyright and call it your own. But you are allowed to
use/modify/redistribute, etc. There is no requirement of having to use
the Exolab license for your own code.

So I'm not sure what the problem is with that, perhaps you can explain
further, or perhaps I have missed the point. Of course, I'm not a
lawyer, nor am I an expert in licensing issues. However, after working
with that license for the past 4 years, I am confused on what the
problem you are facing over the license is.

Thanks,

--Keith