geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Status of JMS
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:08:03 GMT

On 4 Nov 2003, at 22:06, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, James Strachan said:
> JS>> JGroups is out of the question for Geronimo because of license.
> It's
> JS>> LGPL.
> JS>
> JS>
> JS>There's a BSD abstraction wrapper being developed right now, so soon
> JS>we'll be able to use JGroups
> JS>
> JS>https://jcluster.dev.java.net/
>
> Interesting. So how do you know what this is besides 'Clustering for
> Java?' I notice that Bela Ban is involved. I'll have to speak with him
> to get more details.
>
> Did you notice that it falls beneaths Sun's incubator? ;-)

Yep - I've been talking to Bela about this for some time. Various folks
at Apache & Sun would like to use JGroups but are put off due to the
viral LGPL licence. So Bela's agreed to create JCluster, which is an
abstraction API above JGroups which should be possible to implement via
JMS if need be. A side effect of JCluster is that its much easier to
use than the JMS API and has support for clustering (membership
monitoring & state transfer etc).

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/