geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Fw: console-web
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 13:53:56 GMT
I'm guessing because right now we need basic features like operation
invocation.  Once we get some basic features we can look at
re-architecting the system, but now it is early.  Anyway, to me most of
the suggestions look like differences in web design philosophy.

-dain

On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 06:13 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> FWIW Ryan's points all seem pretty valid to me; I don't see why you're
> recommending he goes off to SF or that his ideas are over-engineered.
>

> On Saturday, November 1, 2003, at 06:22  am, n. alex rupp wrote:
>
>> Ryan,
>>
>> Let's please keep discussions about this on the list : )
>>
>> I think your ideas below are overengineered, but you sound like
>> you've given
>> it a lot of thought and perhaps the ideas have merit, but they'll
>> best be
>> judged when they're backed up with some code.  You might start a
>> project at
>> sf.net and build this sucker from the ground up (doesn't seem that
>> you'll
>> need to reuse any of the pieces we've got), and when you get it
>> working, we
>> can take a look at it and either use it to replace what we've got, or
>> merge
>> the two together, using the best parts of each.  Get the web
>> application
>> working, and we'll go from there.
>>
>> I'm working on adding simple functionality like method invocation.
>> Perhaps
>> we can join our stuff together somewhere down the line.  You might
>> also look
>> into other projects which are building generic libraries for working
>> with
>> JMX.  I think Simone Bordet knows of a good one (but I can't remember
>> it for
>> the life of me)
>>
>> Good luck and welcome : )
>> --
>> N. Alex Rupp

>>> 2.  use JSTL in jsp tags to output lists of JMX services
>>> 4.  use xdoclet to generate web.xml and taglib.tld.
>>> 3.  refactor majority of code into reusable JMX client for use with
>>> other
>>> "consoles".  i think this might work best to add a new module, so
>>> that the
>>> console-web module has a dependency on the new module.  this would
>>> allow
>> for
>>> the taglib.tld to be picked up automatically without having to
>>> specify it
>> in
>>> the web.xml
>>>
>>> i think that was pretty much it.  i have not done any development for
>>> geronimo, but have gone through the wiki extensively.  what would be
>>> the
>>> best way to go about this?  do the development, create a patch, and
>>> submit
>>> it to JIRA?
>>>
>>> if i have questions, should i email you directly, or would the dev
>>> list or
>>> wiki be a better communication spot?  Oh, and i wanted to let you
>>> know
>> that
>>> it's great to see other minnesota based J2EE developers!  i'm from
>>> mankato
>>> myself, and down here, J2EE is still in it's infancy.
>>>
>>> Ryan Sonnek
>>>
>>> ------------
>>> "God is the Lord of angels, of men - and of elves."
>>> - J.R.R. Tolkien

> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/