geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: making JSR 77 / 88 reusable for component authors (& container developers)
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 03:34:07 GMT
Dain, David,

Could one of you guys point me to the right packages where this

code is located.  I want to begin to understand the amount of effort

it would take to get existing components that run in Merlin or

Phoenix to run within Geronimo.  And I suspect from our conversations

you know what I want to do :-).  It was nice talking to you guys over

beers btw.

>From the looks of Pico I don't think it's that hard to get framework based

component lifecycles working w/ adapters.  BTW Dain just as background

info Avalon framework is a set of interfaces and that's all it does not

contain any of the kernel code.  Lots of folks like these interfaces whether

or not they support type 1, 2, or 3.

And if you guys say Pico is the most natural fit to the way jsr 77/88

lifecycles work then it should not be that hard.  I just want to start
looking

at the details where we're sure to find the devil.

Also I want to take this opportunity to introduce you to a fellow developer

who has been working on a AAA framework for containers at sf.net.  He's now

a PicoContainer junky and wants to find a way to get the AAA stuff working

with both Merlin and Pico.  His name is Vincent Tence and I have CC'd him

in this email.  He's a solid security guy and I hope one day we can

implement a solid identity management solution using these components

and the LDAP server with Geronimo as the target application server.  I just

wanted to get his name out there so we can entice him to get involved in

this effort.  Here's the project he setup and I'm supposed :-) to be working

on

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aaaframework

Perhaps we can get Vince in touch with some of the security peeps here

to share ideas.  I would also like  to see these components support the jsr
77

lifecycle model.

Cheers,

Alex