geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Official Name for "Geronimo" Project
Date Sun, 30 Nov 2003 05:36:11 GMT
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 07:16:17PM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > It should be left up to the project unless Geronimo is truly deemed
> > inappropriate.
>
> > The developers may wish to avoid the whole issue by renaming the
> > codebase to something else but not be forced out of the name
> > because it's perceived to be controversial by some.
>
> Unless the Membership or the Board decides to take up the matter, I think
> that the project community should have a say it the matter.  As I said
> earlier, I am not sure why the thread wasn't initiated on that list.

First of all, the project community has just as much of a say in the
matter as anyone else. Please realize, however, that this topic
(the official name for the "Geronimo" project) has been around for
a long time, longer even than the codebase.

Secondly, let me fill everyone in on what's going on here. The name
"Geronimo" was only intended to be the code-name of the project.
Once the project was created, a number of people pointed out some
reasons why the name "Geronimo" was inappropriate, and so it was
loosely decided that the name would be temporary. In order to
get closure on the issue, so that efforts like making logos and
creating web pages can continue unhindered, I decided to post
this vote to the Incubator PMC: