geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: Geronimo code provenance accounting
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:18:06 GMT

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Is this something that was suggested by a retained legal counsel or is
> it an idea that came up in a discussion.  I have say that this is a

Even though we have our councils fairly well trained and domesticated by
now - you would not want to go know what their suggestions are to make
this sort really really safe and 'we get paid to tell you wath is'D risk
averse. And over the years I've not observed that simplication came with
better understanding.

In the ASF we maintain a careful balance between protection, adequate
documentation on the one hand versus not putting too many hurdles in the
way of our developers. Keeping this balance is a processes, not a one off
carving of some rules in stone.

Having said that - across the ASF it is common and good practice to note
-where- code came from, and under what license/software-grant it was
contributed, if it was not written within a project. This is done across
the ASF - and generally result in CVS notices and alien licenses file's
dotted around.

My understandig is that in Geronimo very little code is actually alien;
most, if not virtuall all, is written in house by this community as we
speak. So marking the few exceptions should be little work, especially as
it will be fresh in everyones minds ? Or am I mistaken ??

Dw