geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Change the way interceptors are stacked
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 01:26:31 GMT
On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 05:47:40PM -0800, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> Currently the interceptor stack is built from the front backwards using
> the addInterceptor method on the container.
>
> I would like to propose we change to build the stack in the opposite
> order, from the back forward. This would allow us to make the next
> interceptor a private final initialized in the Interceptor's
> constructor. It also makes multi-headed interceptor chains easier to
> understand which will help with OpenEJB integration, and simplifies the
> code in the containers that builds the stacks.

+1

I'll note for others reading that with the current front-back (first-last) style of building
the stack makes it impossible to add another interceptor later -- it would actually end up
after the "final" interceptor in the chain and would never be invoked.  Putting the final/end
interceptor in the stack first allows you to keep adding interceptors in front of it.

-David