geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: New Goal -- Milestone Release
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:47:06 GMT
On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 07:08:01AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> >If we are as focused as we were with the petstore, we can have a
> >release out by Friday morning.
> >
> >Thoughts?
>
> I think you could start working on the release issues, but don't set a
> date.  We want to put the JBoss letter behind us, us being the ASF, not
> just this group.  I'll follow up in a note on that one.

That makes good sense.  I had actually forgotten about the letter -- anyone at apachecon notice
the rose colored tint to my glasses ;)

Realistically, we don't know when the letter issue will be fully resolved, nor do we win by
pushing it.  I think it would be wise to simply adjust our goal.

Along the lines of your suggestion, what if we were to focus on a release _tag_ instead?
We approach everything as if we doing a release, right up to tagging the repository, publishing
the docs, but not including publishing a binary.  People can check out the tag and build it
themselves.

We will get less people trying out the code, but many still will.  That allow us to keep the
team focused on delivering something to the community and getting some feedback.  If at some
point in the near future the letter issue is resloved, we can publish the binary.

Would something like that be good, or is it too release-like in nature?

-David