geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: Unofficial relase for Geronimo
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:45:39 GMT

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Reading the wiki page (IncubatorReleaseManagement) I am unclear if such
> an archive can be distributed from an ASF site or if we need to use an
> unaffiliated site. If we do use an external site, then can we link to it
> from the project home page (with suitable disclaimers attached)?

A very good thing you ask this before doing! As this most certainly is NOT
something which should happen. Any and all code released by the ASF should
follow the guidelines on:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

which, apart from a practical perspective is a best pratice guideline, is
_also_ crucial in the legal defense system of the ASF. Or in other words,
if we do not follow such procedures, we can no longer protect individual
developers, or even our end users, against a range of legal issues.

I'll guess the incubator site needs a bit of work to make this point
a hell of a lot clearer :-)

Thanks for asking this (first).

Dw