geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Kurjanowicz" <mkurj...@cc.gatech.edu>
Subject RE: Universal Geronimo Service Repository
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:09:35 GMT
I agree - just because we certify a certain distribution, that doesn't mean
that some companies will be looking for different things in their J2EE
environment, if they are willing to put up with their configuration not
being J2EE certified.  It would also allow companies to develop their own
packages and sell/distribute those, and possibly get their own
configurations of Geronimo certified if they feel that a different subset of
services/implementations are necessary.

--
Matt Kurjanowicz
mkurjano@users.sourceforge.net

-----Original Message-----
From: James Strachan [mailto:james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 7:01 PM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Universal Geronimo Service Repository

On 15 Nov 2003, at 15:56, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> This would allow any open source project or commercial vendor to
>> easily
>> plugin to Geronimo in a well known, well documented and well tested
>> way.
>
> A major goal of Geronimo is to deliver a certified J2EE platform.  As I
> understand the TCK, we certify a total package.  Yes, someone could
> plug-in
> another component, but in many cases, that will invalidate the
> certification
> or require re-certfication.  I don't know of any reason why we cannot
> perform TCK certification on multiple packagings, but AFAIK it is the
> packaging that is certified.

We need to certify a build of Geronimo - so Geronimo will be synonymous
with a J2EE certified distribution. However there's no reason why we
can't have a configuration tool that ships as a standard part of the
Geronimo distribution where folks can plug and play any J2EE service -
which just creates a new configuration of services for Geronimo.

There can be only 1, J2EE certified distribution of Geronimo - though
users can customize it to do whatever they wish.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/