geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mariano Kamp <mk...@gmx.de>
Subject Help with JSR-77 Was: Current State of JSR-77
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:52:52 GMT

Hi,

  haven't got any response to the below pasted mail, so I assumed that JSR-77
is not in place yet and tried with JBoss for testing. After reading the
JSR-77 specs I put together a small program to try it out.

  I wonder if somebody could help me up to speed?

  There is lots of things I don't really understand. For example I wonder how
to properly traverse the managed objects hierarchy. What I've implemented
below is to start with the J2EE Domain and traverse all attributes of types
ObjectName and ObjectName[]. That seems to work, still I am not sure, if that
is the right way of doing it.

  Anyway, I got lots of Exceptions (see log) and wonder if these Exceptions
are alright.  I don't see how I can check these conditions before hand, i.e.
I don't see any methods in the APIs to check for that.

  Furthermore I am wondering how to determine the name of a J2EE
ManagedObject?! Some have the attribute "name", some don't.

  My first understanding was, that there is a generic way of doing *most*
things (like traversal etc.) with J2EE Managed Objects, but meanwhile I came
to believe that all the typed of J2EE Managed Objects need to be actually
implemented by the client. Is that true?

  I would really appreciate if somebody could have a look at the code and the
log?! If you want to run it yourself, it should work against JBoss 3.2.2 out
of the box with the only exception that the jboss-3.2.2/docs/examples/jmx/
ejb-management.jar needs to be deployed first.

  Btw. I am aware of the potential danger of cyclic references; just haven't
cared for that in the test-code..

  This is preliminary to building an eclipse plug-in.

Cheers,
Mariano

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 19:45, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am wondering what the current state of the JSR-77 implementation is?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/Architecture/
> Management#head-61be967c1fa052eacfa2a377e50e8b70a3e9b31c says: "NOTE: It
> appears from a later comment that the JSR-77 objects may all appear in
> geronimo.j2ee.management".
>
>   When looking at at the web-console built from yesterdays cvs I can "only"
> see g.boot, g.remoting, g.system, jetty and JMImplementation.
>
>   I found a javax.management.j2ee.ManagementHome and Management, but they
> were empty.
>
>   I am new to JMX/JSR-77. Maybe I am just looking for the wrong thing?
>
>   Is there already any JSR-77 aware client available? I've also seen that
> the development of an according eclipse plugin was mentioned in the
> archives and in the wiki. Still I haven't been able to figure out what the
> status is. Is somebody working on that?
>
>   Btw. In modules/console-web/src/webapp/index.jsp "/console/faq.jsp" is
> referenced, but should be "./faq.jsp" or "/geronimo-web-console/faq.jsp".
> Otherwise at least the default deployment wouldn't work (for me).
>
> Cheers,
> Mariano

- --
Get public key from