geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [committers] can you build the website?
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:13:12 GMT
On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 17:57, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 04:29 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > As I said, I don't believe that anyone thinks that keeping 100s of
> > megabytes
> > of generated artifacts in CVS is a great idea.
>
> That seems like a lot of work.

It does. I posted a little note to general@incubator asking if this is
really necessary and seeing if we can change this now.

> Has anyone considered time stamped tar
> balls (e.g., incubator-geronimo-20031124)?  We could simply upload a
> new tar ball when we want the site updated.  The server could manage
> disk space by deleting the oldest tar balls and would automatically
> update the site when it discovers a newer tar ball.
>
> I think it would be great to have an automatic build system for the
> site and daily binaries, but it seems like a lot of work it the
> motivation is just to eliminate the '190MB CVS problem.'

We currently have DamageControl up and running at Codehaus and we're
using it for a few test projects there and works well. It would probably
be setup for geronimo quite easily on a spare box you guys have or on
Apache's infrastructure. It basically executes arbitrary which are
triggered by check ins. So you check in java sources it builds your
project, you check in docs it can generate your site. The control is
still course but it's working well. It's also written in Ruby. Nice
little tool Aslak Hellesoy and Jon Tirsen put together.

http://damagecontrol.codehaus.org/builds/damagecontrol/docs/index.html

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl