geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: A Letter from JBoss's lawyers
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:02:26 GMT
On Monday, November 10, 2003, at 10:52 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> The JBoss letter did bring up one good point, can we finally get
>> trace level logging into commons-logging so every project in the
>> world doesn't need to adapt the Log4j examples?
>
> Commons Logging, or Log4J?  Those are two separate projects.  Commons
> Logging has had trace for almost two years.  But when it calls Log4J,
> it
> maps trace to debug because Log4J doesn't have a trace level.  So it
> seems
> to me that it is Log4J that needs to add a standard trace level.  Am I
> missing something?

Log4j doesn't need to add anything.  If they don't want a TRACE level,
the commons-logging team can just add it like every one else does.  I
personally think it would be nice to have Log4j to add it to the next
version, but the community needs it to work today with the current
version of Log4j.

>> Does anyone here have influence with the commons-logging Committers ?
>
> YOU do.  Apache is run as a meritocracy.  Subscribe to that mailing
> list and
> make the case.

Some people have more influence because they have already shown to have
merit and if someone with a proven track record advocates for the
change it in, in my mind, it is more likely to get happen.  Anyway,
I'll suggest it on the commons-logging list tomorrow when I wake-up.

-dain