geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Universal Geronimo Service Repository
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 00:01:19 GMT

On 15 Nov 2003, at 15:56, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> This would allow any open source project or commercial vendor to
>> easily
>> plugin to Geronimo in a well known, well documented and well tested
>> way.
>
> A major goal of Geronimo is to deliver a certified J2EE platform.  As I
> understand the TCK, we certify a total package.  Yes, someone could
> plug-in
> another component, but in many cases, that will invalidate the
> certification
> or require re-certfication.  I don't know of any reason why we cannot
> perform TCK certification on multiple packagings, but AFAIK it is the
> packaging that is certified.

We need to certify a build of Geronimo - so Geronimo will be synonymous
with a J2EE certified distribution. However there's no reason why we
can't have a configuration tool that ships as a standard part of the
Geronimo distribution where folks can plug and play any J2EE service -
which just creates a new configuration of services for Geronimo.

There can be only 1, J2EE certified distribution of Geronimo - though
users can customize it to do whatever they wish.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/