geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject new console-swing team
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:28:07 GMT
Cool, James.  That's great news.  MVC is perfect for thick-client UIs, too : )
Now everyone who wants to scratch that itch can do so (ich habe es genug für
mich gekratzt).

It sounds like Matt and Ryan are already thinking a lot about this stuff.  Does
one (or both) of them want to lead the effort on developing the swing UI?  (I'm
sure James will if they won't, and will help them if they run across any
issues).  There are probably dozens of people on the list who want to help with
the Swing UI, who have a lot of experience with UI design or who know JMX like
the back of their hand.  If not, this is a perfect chance for newcomers to get
involved (other than writing unit tests) and learn some new skills.

Matt and Ryan are both very competent developers and show a lot of initiative
for pushing in this direction : )  If it sounded before like I was suggesting
that the Geronimo project shouldn't have a swing UI, I apologize--you guys
should know that wasn't what I was trying to say (and even if I were, I don't
make decisions around here ; )  I never want to close the door on new ideas or
new, useful components to plug in.  I think that stuff is great.  I was just
trying to convey that I personally specialize in thin client servlet approaches
and will stick with them because it's where I operate most efficiently and can
make the best use of my time.  I'd probably be more of a hindrance than a
benefit to skilled a thick-client UI team.

Again, thanks for the help and the great work, James. Best luck to Matt & Ryan
on driving the swing effort if they choose to do so.  If they have specific
ideas down the line of ways they could reuse pieces of my code and want me to
help abstract out bits for their use, I will do whatever I can to help them.
--
N.