geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Universal Geronimo Service Repository
Date Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:14:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Strachan" <james_strachan@yahoo.co.uk>
To: <geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 11:52 PM
Subject: Universal Geronimo Service Repository

<snip/>
> How's this sound? Already much of the mechanics of this is already
> available in Geronimo, its more a question of figuring out what layout
> we should use for the repository & making some little tools to help
> folks pick-and-choose and validate combinations of services etc.

<more/>

> We need to certify a build of Geronimo - so Geronimo will be
> synonymous with a J2EE certified distribution. However there's
> no reason why we can't have a configuration tool that ships as
> a standard part of the Geronimo distribution where folks can
> plug and play any J2EE service - which just creates a new
> configuration of services for Geronimo.

I've been planning on adding these features into the management UI for some time
now (note the greyed out "Add / Remove Modules" link in the current UI )

I have a lot of questions on how I'd do this, how we could get a list of the
available services.  Preferably there'd be a module lookup service that either
ran on a timer or functioned whenever a user called a lookup from the management
console, or both.  I've been assuming that references to services will be stored
at ibiblio (or somewhere analogous).  It would be nice if the timed service
could pull down a descriptor file or summary for each of the available services,
then restructure the data for easy presentation in the management interface.
The user should be able to scroll through a list and pick out services (I
imagine something very akin to Cygwin setup), and invoke an installation
procedure which would draw everything from the archive and deploy it locally.
This, of course, means that configuration of the different services should be
capable of being performed in the management UI as well.

A useful extension of this technology down the road could be to consume web
services in a similar manner.  We could perform search and discovery for
services (like SAML gateways) and "install" the service at runtime, (really
we're just establishing a remote connection to the service over the line), but
from the user's perspective, it could function as though they'd installed a
service locally.

Anyway, I just wanted to ping you guys and tell you I'm on the case.

--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)