geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "n. alex rupp" <rupp0...@umn.edu>
Subject Re: Fw: console-web
Date Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:12:14 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sonnek, Ryan" <Ryan.Sonnek@bpc.com>
To: <geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 1:30 PM
Subject: RE: Fw: console-web

> Excellent,
> It makes a lot more sense now that you explained why you did the things you
> do.  I completely agree that the focus should be on improving the feature
> list and not on making it look "pretty".

I'm more concerned that the end users think it's pretty and intuitive than that
the developers think the internal code looks pretty.  It's the nature of the
interface : )  And form follows function only to the degree that form IS
function (Tom's Hardware is a perfect illustration of my point.).

> <subquote>
> I have an idea where you could start out.  I am interested
> in building ...
> </subquote>
>
> I'll start here.  I'd like to get a little more information about your
> thoughts on this.  I'm familiar with the Jboss JMX console, and I'm guessing
> that you're thinking along the lines of the work they did to define
> datasources in the simplified *-ds.xml instead of the verbose *-service.xml?
> so, does this at all impact the JCA Geronimo project?

This has no analogue at all with the *-ds.xml and *-service.xml files.  I'm
talking about a set of classes which correspond to each of the following classes
and into which the following classes must be inserted:

javax.management
  .MbeanAttributeInfo
  .MBeanConstructorInfo
  .MBeanFeatureInfo
  .MBeanInfo
  .MBeanNotificationInfo
  .MBeanOperationInfo
  .MBeanParameterInfo

 (and probably the ModelMBean*Info classes as well).

These classes filter the String output of the various accessor methods so that
they make more sense to the end user.  For example, "LString;" should be
rewritten to "String[]".  This is very basic formatting stuff.  We just need to
wrap the various MBean*Info objects and unfunk the output.  If we do it right,
it should be reusable by other consoles and web apps.

Also, we need methods to automatically sort the arrays returned by
MBeanInfo.getAttributes() & getOperations() and other methods like them.  I
figure MBeanAttributeInfo can be sorted by name, MBeanOperationInfo can be
sorted by the method name, MBeanParameterInfo can be sorted by the last token of
the type string (java.lang.String == String for example).  You'll need
comparators for each Info type.

I'm interested in finishing these in the next few days, preferably right quick.
I need the MBeanInfoFilter, MBeanAttributeInfoFilter, MBeanOperationInfoFilter
and MBeanParameterInfoFilter to take priority (in that order, I think).  I've
already got the skeleton for this assembled--just needs some stuffing.

Finally, I don't think this has anything at all to do with JCA : )  Nilch.

If you need more explanation, kein problem.  Just let me know.

Bis Morgen,
--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)