geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [Deployment] IM #2 Summary for Directory Issue
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:45:09 GMT
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 18:38:13 -0400 (EDT), Aaron Mulder wrote:
>1) There will be some way of saving the current MBean state of the server
>and reloading it later.  That way when you start the server, instead of
>reprocessing all the config files, it will just "deserialize" the MBeans
>into their previous state.  Then the deployment scanner will update that
>state according to the current deploy directory (redeploying a service if
>the config file changed, for example).  (Apparently this saving and
I agree and this is what I suggested in a previous mail: one needs a
"Persistence Service" to persist the state of various ManagedObjects and be
able to restore the state of a server between application start-ups.

>2) There will be a "service controller" that manages the JSR-77 state of
>various objects in the server.  I need to get more information about this
>from Dain.  But the relevant part is that based on the above, all the
>applications that were previously deployed have MBeans, and those MBeans
>would brought back in the "stopped" state when the server is started.
>Then with the service controller in place, the service controller can go
>try to start the ones that were formerly running.  Thus it is the service
>controller (or if not, then the MBeans), not the individual app DDs, which
>remember what state the different components are in.
I disagree. It is possible to stop manually a J2EEManagedObject. When the
server is shut-down and re-started, this same J2EEManagedObject could be
accessed as runnable by the DependencyService and hence re-started. In other
words, the state has not been exactly restored.

An alternative could be to take a snapshot of the currently deployed
J2EEManagedObject prior to shut-down a server (we will need a "Persistence
Service" that Dain will support). Then, when the server is re-started, one
reads this snapshot, which explicitely defines J2EEManagedObject as running,
stopped, failed et cetera to restore the previous state. More accurately, if
the J2EEManagedObject was running, then one startRecursive it. It is then up
to the DependencyService to assess if it can actually restore exactly the
same state.

This is my 2 cents.

Gianny

MSN Messenger 6  http://g.msn.fr/FR1001/866 : plus de personnalisation, plus