geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Review of refactored deployment classes
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:05:09 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
>>To distribute a module in an auto-deploy folder will be a two step
>>process: firstly upload it in a passive directory (one does not want a
>>module being distributed to be retrieved by a scanner) and then move it to
>>the auto-deploy folder. So, why not do it "in-place".
>>

>I think relying on scanning and scanning-driven hot deployment for anything
>is a big mistake.  I think that whatever the "official" deployment method
>is, the scanner should simply be one input to it.  You should be able to
>have a "locked down" Geronimo instance with no scanners.
My point was that one can use the deployment scanner as an entry point to
start a deployment. I agree that using a deployment scanner as the single
point of entry to schedule a deployment is a BIG mistake and I never say so.

If you prefer a more upstream entry point, you can directly invoke say a
deployment controller or the "official" deployment driver.

>When Geronimo can remember its state between shutdowns, I think it will
>appear much less important to have a scanner.
At least one scanner will be needed: the one in charge of the auto-deploy
folders.

Cheers,
Gianny

MSN Messenger 6  http://g.msn.fr/FR1001/866 : plus de personnalisation, plus