geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "gianny DAMOUR" <gianny_dam...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [Deployment] IM Summary for Directory Issue
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:27:28 GMT
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:32:28 -0400 (EDT), Aaron Mulder wrote:
>1) We will save all distributed files to one directory, and we will set
>that to be the same as the "deploy" directory by default (keeping all
>deployments in the same location, whether by user-copied files or by
>JSR-88).
DeploymentScanner implements a JMX managed operation in order to add a URL
to its scanner. So, I've got the feeling that one can distribute where we
want.

>2) For each application module in the deploy directory, we will save the
>Geronimo-specific DD outside the module, with a name based on the module
>name ("foo.war" gets the DD "geronimo-deployment-foo.war.xml" or something
>along those lines).
I agree on the general idea. However, what do you think of the following?

It seems to me that we will need rather quickly a mean to persist
J2EEManagedObject. Based on previous mails, Dain has this task on its to-do
and will support.

Indeed, if I understand correctly the problem, one only needs to persist the
state of various components between server start-ups.

For instance, the DeploymentManager distributes an application component to
a specific server and puts it in a "distribution" directory. When one
requests the start of this specific component, one could simply add to the
DeploymentScanner a new URL referencing this "distribution" directory. The
DeploymentScanner will then do its job as expected.

Now the problem is, what happen when the server is shut-down? Does it mean
that I will have to reconfigure the DeploymentScanner?

I think that a possible answer is to persist the set of URL scanned by the
DeploymentManager and re-use this persisted state to re-configure the
DeploymentScanner on server start-up.

This problem is the same one for all the application components and can be
answered by persisting the J2EEManagedObject abstracting them.

For instance, when a RAR is started, one can call a "Persistence Service" on
the MBean mirroring this RAR and this service will persist somewhere and
somehow that the new state of this ManagedObject.

I really like the idea of putting this state in an easy to read XML file
(why not an enhanced DD). However, one could also persist via standard
serialization the state but it means that we will need to support a tool to
edit easily such serialized instances.

However, what do you think about defining a single XML repository? I see
some advantages:

For instance, to implement the DeploymentManager.getAvailableModules is
trivial: one reads the repository and that is it. If one have multiple
repository (multiple XML files), a possible implementation is to query
directly the MBeanServer and even if it is easy to implement, an end-user
will not be able to search via a standard text editor what is by now
deployed.

In other words, I agree on the fact that one will need to persist the state
of server components between start-up. However, I think that this is the
responsibility of a "Persistence Service" to tackle this problem.

Gianny

MSN Messenger 6  http://g.msn.fr/FR1001/866 : ajoutez une image à votre
pseudo pour dialoguer avec vos amis