geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: JMX Communication Problems
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:44:46 GMT
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Hiram Chirino wrote:
> Can you point send me a script of the commands you are running that gets
> this to fail?  I'm sure it's a problem somewhere in the async remoting
> transport layer.  It's quite new and has not received that much testing
> :(   Platform info would be good too.

	I'm on Linux (Red Hat 9) on Intel with Sun's JDK 1.4.2.

	I don't yet have a script to replicate this, but you can use
the following procedure:

	Make a JAR with nothing except a META-INF/ejb-jar.xml DD (you can
use the one at
modules/core/src/test-data/xml/deployment/simple-ejb-jar.xml)

	Start Geronimo (maven run:main)

	In a different window, start the deployer on your JAR
"target/geronimo-DEV/bin/deploy ejb.jar" (or whatever the JAR name is)

	When prompted to enter a URL, enter
"deployer:geronimo://localhost" (this is the first time it connects to the
server and sometimes it hangs here)

	If you get to the menu of numbered items, hit "6" (deploy or
redeploy) then "2" (distribute).  This connects to the server and might
hang.

	Now hit "4" (redeploy) and then "a" (add module) and then "L"
(list all modules).  This connects to the server 5 times (one per module
type) and often hangs.

	Select "1" (the only deployed module).  This connects to the
server and might hang.

	Select "b" (back) then "b" (back again) and then type "y" (to
redeploy).  This connects to the server and might hang.

	Select "b" (back) then "8" (manage deployments) then "5" (view
modules) then "L" (list all deployments).  This connects to the server 5
times and might hang.

	If it still hasn't hung, try hitting "L" over and over again until
it does.

	With that procedure, it just took me 3 tries to get to the last
step, and when I did, I hit "L" about 7 times before it hung.  Note that I
always get the message "DEBUG [ChannelPool] channel connecting to:
async://(hostname):(port)" on the *server* side every time it hangs, and
not when a request succeeds.  Once it has hung, the deployer disconnects
from the server so you need to exit or Ctrl-C and then restart it to try
again.

Thanks,
	Aaron