geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: XML POJO Update (XMLBeans)
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:10:49 GMT
	My sense is that none of the tools is a "perfect fit" out of the
box, so it's just a matter of working through the necessary
customizations.  I think I'm quite close to being satisfied with XMLBeans
-- I suspect I just need to straighten out our Geronimo namespace and then
wait for the XMLBeans project to put something in the Maven repository.
	But just to state my requirements, here's what I can think up off
the top of my head:

 - the tool must be able to process the full set of J2EE XSDs, including
EAR, Web, JSP, Taglib, EJB, RAR, web services, web services client,
application client

 - we must be able to customize the translation of XML elements to POJO
packages & class names

 - the tool should be reasonably fast (fraction of a second to parse DD)

 - the smaller the tool JAR the better

 - the tool should not rely on any 3rd party JARs/libraries, including
any specific XML parser

 - the generated code should have getters and setters returning strings
for elements that just contain text values (i.e. getEjbName() for the
"ejb-name" child of an EJB element)

 - XPath support is a big bonus

 - the tool must be able to read and write DDs from the command-line
deployer without any onerous configuration

 - the tool must write DDs with namespace indicators (reading and then
rewriting a DD should not lose information in the document element or
header)

 - the tool should write human-readable DDs (not all on one line, use
indentation, not unnecessary CDATA wrappers)

 - ideally, the tool would not refuse to load an incomplete document (such
as omitting the version attribute in the document element), such that we
could load a EJB 2.0 DD with the code generated for EJB 2.1 (not sure how
realistic this is)

 - the tool should be available via maven, so we don't need to manually
add the JAR to our build tree

 - ideally, the tool would generate base classes or interfaces for
elements with common content groups (JNDI environment refs group,
description group)

Aaron