geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: XML POJO Update (XMLBeans)
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:35:15 GMT
This one time, at band camp, Jacek Laskowski said:

JL>Aaron Mulder wrote:
JL>
JL>> 	My sense is that none of the tools is a "perfect fit" out of the
JL>> box, so it's just a matter of working through the necessary
JL>> customizations.  I think I'm quite close to being satisfied with XMLBeans
JL>> -- I suspect I just need to straighten out our Geronimo namespace and then
JL>> wait for the XMLBeans project to put something in the Maven repository.
JL>> 	But just to state my requirements, here's what I can think up off
JL>> the top of my head:
JL>
JL>Hi,
JL>
JL>Since Geronimo "is bringing together leading members of the Castor,
JL>JBoss, MX4J and OpenEJB communities" I couldn't believe we couldn't
JL>start with Castor as the best fit (even if it's not already). If
JL>there're something missing in the tool I'd bet it's going the highest
JL>priority to fix it as the tool's members are also Geronimo ones, and who
JL>else would support it better. XMLBeans is incubating and the jar's size
JL>is equals to the one of Castor, so unless there're features in XMLBeans
JL>that outweighs the ones found in Castor I wouldn't even bother to take a
JL>look at XMLBeans. Although, I remember I had some problems with XSD of
JL>standard DDs, but did manage to work them out very quickly.
JL>
JL>So, hey, Castor's members, wouldn't you mind to comment on the
JL>requirements Aaron was kind to write down? Otherwise, I'll have to
JL>figure out if Castor does what Aaron is expecting from the tool (and it
JL>will certainly take some time).

Jacek,

Some very good points, Jacek. Just today both Arnaud and Keith from
the Castor Project (committers and architects for Castor XML) have
joined the geronimo-dev list.

Each of them told me that Castor XML supports the full XML Schema
as well as nearly all of the requirements set forth by Aaron.  If
there are any additional features we'd like to have in Castor XML
that they are extremely willing to add those features to Castor XML
in a high priority manner.

JL>AM>the tool must write DDs with namespace indicators (reading and then
JL>AM>rewriting a DD should not lose information in the document element or
JL>AM>header)

The requirement listed above by Aaron has already been discussed
amongst Arnaud, Keith and I and we're talking about some options.

Let's discuss anything other questions people may have about Castor
XML so that Arnaud and Keith can jump in and lend a hand in answering
them and helping out with any issues that may arise.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo