geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Review of refactored deployment classes
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 00:23:42 GMT

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 05:05 PM, gianny DAMOUR wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>> To distribute a module in an auto-deploy folder will be a two step
>>> process: firstly upload it in a passive directory (one does not want
>>> a module being distributed to be retrieved by a scanner) and then
>>> move it to the auto-deploy folder. So, why not do it "in-place".
>>>

>> I think relying on scanning and scanning-driven hot deployment for
>> anything is a big mistake.  I think that whatever the "official"
>> deployment method is, the scanner should simply be one input to it.
>> You should be able to have a "locked down" Geronimo instance with no
>> scanners.
> My point was that one can use the deployment scanner as an entry point
> to start a deployment. I agree that using a deployment scanner as the
> single point of entry to schedule a deployment is a BIG mistake and I
> never say so.
>
> If you prefer a more upstream entry point, you can directly invoke say
> a deployment controller or the "official" deployment driver.
>
>> When Geronimo can remember its state between shutdowns, I think it
>> will appear much less important to have a scanner.
> At least one scanner will be needed: the one in charge of the
> auto-deploy folders.

Why are auto-deploy folders needed?  Depending on the tools you use,
they are sometimes a convenience in development, but can be simply
annoying with other choices.  For instance, JBoss has a jboss-jmx ant
task that can be used to call the jboss deployer with a url.  You can
then have a deploy target in your ant script and forget copying your
app into the hot-deploy directory.  I'm not saying one way is always
better than the other, I've used both.

thanks
david jencks