geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Error while unit testing : o.a.g.naming.java.ReadOnlyContext
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:53:37 GMT
On Wednesday, Oct 1, 2003, at 11:51 Europe/London, Danny Angus wrote:

>> It won't work on a 'doze machine unless you have a dummy loopback
>> adaptor configured. Unix systems always have a loopback adapter up and
>> running, so they should work off line.
>
> edit C:\winnt\system32\etc\hosts

The entry in hosts should read:

127.0.0.1	localhost

However, that only puts the name in the hosts resolution file (so
localhost will resolve to 127.0.0.1). If the computer has no network
card, or the network card is disabled, then the OS may not route
packets through to 127.0.0.1 unless a local loopback adapter is
installed and up.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;236869 for
how to add a loopback adapter; perhaps someone who had failed tests on
a non-connected Windows laptop could check to see if this solves the
problem?

The steps are:

o Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then
double-click Add/Remove Hardware.
o Click Add/Troubleshoot a device, and then click Next.
o Click Add a new device, and then click Next.
o Click No, I want to select the hardware from a list, and then click
Next.
o Click Network adapters, and then click Next.
o In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft.
o In the Network Adapter box, click Microsoft Loopback Adapter, and
then click Next.
o Click Finish.

It should configure to be 127.0.0.1 automatically with netmask
255.0.0.0; if not, it can be changed in the properties of the network
card.

Alex.