geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Web State Replication... (long)
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:06:16 GMT
Jules,

IIRC James point is having a lot more buckets then nodes makes adding
and reorganizing state much easier.  Of course in the case of a failure
you still have bulk transfer of data, but the bulk transfer is spread
across the cluster.  This help avoid a dominions style cascade delete
where the first node dies and then is backup dies from the bulk
transfer load, and then that backup dies and so on.

Anyway, I think the big benefit is the ease of redistributing sessions.
  Instead of a new node saying I'll take these 3k sessions, it says I'll
take these three buckets.  The load is much less but I think the
biggest benefit is the code should be easier to debug, understand and
write.

It is not important now.  As long as we keep the interface simple and
clean we can try many implementations until something fits.

-dain

  * Dain Sundstrom
  * Partner
  * Core Developers Network