geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Sondgeroth" <ASondger...@intertech-inc.com>
Subject RE: i18n-Native American question
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:57:54 GMT
I grew up in northern Minnesota and have several contacts from Native
American organizations up there. I just might give them a call to see if
they'd be interested in doing something like this.

-a

-----Original Message-----
From: n. alex rupp [mailto:rupp0035@umn.edu]
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 12:56 AM
To: geronimo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: i18n-Native American question

It's a very unfortunate thing, actually.  I did not write an entry to
retrace the matter as it developed, as I most likely should have.  The
lady
to which I spoke admitted to me that she was only a part-time employee
of
the organization in question.  Worse, she is the sole representative of
their Minnesota office, which doesn't have time to pursue this
particular
matter with us.  While there might be other organizations of similar
nature,
hers will be incapable of pursuing the matter further with us, due to
lack
of time and resources.

However, my desire to add i18n support to the backbone of the user
interface
stands.  If we provide the capability for people on the list to
customize
the language of the console, user interface, help files, etc; I think it
will help non-english speakers add support for their languages.

I ever learn to read and write Lakota or Ojibwe, I'll be happy to create
language packs for them but would otherwise suggest someone more
proficient
than me do that job.  Until someone comes around and does, I don't see
the
matter as a pressing concern.

Translation of documentation and wiki into other languages is always
welcome.  Those of you with little or no idea how you can become
involved
might consider helping with translation : )

--
N. Alex Rupp (n_alex_rupp@users.sf.net)